Backward or Traditional design

I pondered for a while when I saw the word “Backward design“. It is a new term to me and after I read the explanation on Wikipedia– a link provided on study desk, I found that this method is pretty amazing. In Wikipedia (2012), it stated that traditional planning on lesson plan or curriculum will usually determine the content of learning, objectives, lesson plan and types of assessment.  However, Backward design works the other way round. It first determines the goal of learning, plan assessment then create lesson plan (Wikipedia, 2012). None of these methods are wrong because both methods contribute in student’s learning. What makes these two methods different is the effectiveness in student’s learning. Students could be learning on the same topic but with different method, as a result, the outcome would be different. Reflecting on my personal teaching experiences, I feel that Backward method is more effective compared to the traditional method. This is because the goal has been set in the teacher’s mind and he or she will not easily go out of track while delivering the lesson. Indeed, it takes more effort and time in the planning process. It is good that I’ve get to know this because it motivates me to change my way of planning lesson or curriculum.

Reference

Wikipedia. (2012). Backward design.  Retrieved March 26, 2013, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backward_design

4 thoughts on “Backward or Traditional design”